Man with a Van ...1960s style

A classic Bedford Van driven by Lennon Bros Ltd, Rugby

March's object of the month is this black and white photograph of a van owned by Lennon Bros Ltd., who were a local firm of tobacconists.
The Lennon family moved to Rugby in 1904. In 1911, the family lived at “The Globe Hotel” on Railway Terrace.
One of the partners of Lennon Bros. Ltd., Ernest Patrick Lennon (1889-1965), was also a member of the Borough Council between 1938-1961. Lennon Close in Hillmorton was named after him and was built in the late 20th Century.
His brother, Lionel Lennon (1894-1916), was also a partner. Lionel joined the Honourable Artillery Company in 1916. He was killed on the 29th September during a heavy artillery engagement.
They operated at sites including Railway Terrace, and at 15a Market Place, on the corner of Chapel Street, where a large sign is still visible on the side of the building today. 

Other businesses that have been at 15a Market Place have included The Tin Miner’s Pastry Co. Ltd, Supa Snaps, That’s Shoe Business, and Mr Simms Olde Sweet Shop. 
The model of vehicle is a Bedford CA. They were light commercial vehicles produced in Bedford, Luton, between 1952-1969.
The photograph was taken in March 1962 by Rodney H. Huntingford. More images taken by this photographer of local businesses and vehicles are currently on display in our social history exhibition, “Reddings Around Rugby”.
Do you have information or memories of Lennon Bros. Ltd.? Please get in touch as we would love to know more.